The Status code shows one of 4 different “Summary Status” codes, which represent the following. In addition to the “Summary Status” column, a new column called “Pd. Status” has also been added to Back Office which acts in exactly the same way the previous Status column displayed, with the addition of the code description. This will allow users familiar to the original way it operated to see what the actual last entered code is.
Summary Status or Overall Status
- If an Unexplained absence has been recorded in any of the periods, the “Summary Status” will reflect the Unexplained code (1) regardless of the other entries. The “PD. Status” will reflect the last entered attendance code.
- If a Truant code is present, this will show. Truancy is considered to be an unexplained absence.
- If an Explained Absence has been recorded, whether it is a justified or unjustified absence, the “Status Summary” will reflect the Explained code (2), provided there are no unexplained absences for that day. The explained code MUST be one of the codes you are currently using. The “PD. Status” will reflect the last entered attendance code.
- If all of absence codes are for “in-school” based reasons, the “Summary Status” will reflect the Present code . In-school activities are for things like school camps where the student is away from their normal class period but on a school based activity. The “PD. Status” will reflect the last entered attendance code.
The result of the changes can be seen below.
- The “Summary Status” is “J”, as this represents my “Explained Absence” code. I do not need to follow this up as I know where the student was even though Truancy is an unjustified absence reason. The actual code I entered was “T” as shown by the “Pd. Status”
- This “Summary Code” is ‘?” as the absence has at least one unexplained absence within it. Unexplained absences need to be followed up.
- The “Summary Status” is “J” as for example 1, however in this case we can see the student was on an overseas holiday as opposed to Truant. Both absences have been explained, so both show as “J”
- The “Summary Status” is “P” as although the student was late “L”, they are present at school. The “PD. Status” code shows the actual code entered.
The information above is based on the settings shown above in Table 1. Each school will have their own setup for these.