Enrolment fees are often used to secure a students future place within the school. Schools can make this a non-refundable deposit or a holding deposit that can be applied to school fees when the student starts school. This article explains how to receipt the enrolment fee to the family’s “Holding/Home Stay Dep” tab for future use. This implies that an invoice has already been created and sent to the family.
For information on applying the holding deposit to school fees, refer to “Applying Holding Deposits to School Fees” article.
- Create a new receipt.
- Create a negative enrolment receipt line.
- Apply credit and payment to debtor invoices.
- Apply credit to the Holding Deposit.
STEP 1 – Create a new receipt.
Path: Debtors > Receipt Entry
- Type in a batch description.
- Check the default bank account is correct.
- Click in the receipt entry box.
- Click on the [New Receipt] button.
- Enter the date you wish to record the transactions and the relevant family key.
- Tab down to enter the amount to be receipted and the tender type.
- Click on the debtors tab.
STEP 2 – Create a negative enrolment receipt line.
- Click on the [Create Line] button.
- On the new line enter in the student code and applicable cost centre code. Enter the negative amount of the enrolment fee in the charge column. This must be a negative figure.
- Enter in a description if required then tab off to complete the line.
STEP 3 – Apply credit and payment to debtor invoices.
- Click the [Auto Apply] button. This will apply the credit line and invoiced amount to the oldest receipts. Only do this if you will be left with the correct amount to apply to the holding deposit tab once the invoices have been paid. If not, go to STEP 3 to manually select the invoices.
- When you click [Auto Apply] the pop up box prompting if you would like to put the account in credit will appear. Select [No] as you will apply this amount to the holding deposit tab.
- Tick the Apply box of the enrolment fee credit line then selected the invoices you wish to apply the credit and payment to (you can apply partial credit amounts to different invoices by entering a value in the Apply $ column). Tab off each line after selecting to see the remaining unapplied amount. You should have an unapplied balance of the holding deposit left over.
- Click on the Holding/Home Stay Dep Tab.
STEP 4 – Apply credit to the holding deposit.
- Click in the new line and select the student code to apply the holding deposit to. Select the appropriate cost centre code and enter in a maturity date if required.
- Tick the apply box and tab off the line. This will apply the full balance outstanding. If you want to partially apply an amount, type the amount you wish to apply under the Apply $ column before ticking the apply box and tabbing off the line. If creating more than one holding deposit, click on the next line repeat steps 1 and 2 until the unapplied amount is zero.
- Click on the [New Receipt] button to enter in another receipt if necessary.
- Click on the [Finalise Batch] button to finalise the batch once all receipts have been entered.