A Student can have multiple Ethnicities recorded against them, they also have a single overall Ethnic Group this group is embedded in the system and cannot be changed manually; the Embedded Ethnic group is based on the hierarchy listed.
This Ethnic group is held in the Student File;
– If running a VDF Query on this field you would select Ethnic
– To view the field go the Enrolment tab
Australia has two groups; the order below indicates the hierarchy:
– Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait
– Other; everything else other than the above
In New Zealand there are several groups; the order below indicates the hierarchy:
– NZ Maori
– Pacifika (Pacific Island Peoples)
– MELAA (Middle Eastern/Latin American/African)
- Auto enter an Ethnic Group
- Updating the Ethnic Group
- VDF Query on the Ethnic Group
STEP 1 – Auto enter an Ethnic Group
Path: Student View > Enrolment Tab
The Ethnic Group will automatically update once the Ethnicity is saved, this group will always be in the order of hierarchy no matter what Priority is entered.
There are two ways to select Ethnicity;
- Select the Origin Type
- Enter an E under Type
Whichever method is used to select Ethnicity you must always select the Code.
Select the Origin Type: If you select the Origin Type of Ethnic Background you will only see the entries pertaining to that Origin and you will not see the first column in the grid indicating the Origin Type.
If you leave the default Origin Type of All you will see all the Origin Types and you will need to enter the letter E in the Type column for Ethnicity.
Whichever option is used you will need to select the Ethnic Code, the Ethnic Group will automatically update once the entry is saved.
- Select the Ethnic Code.
- You can select a Priority in multiple Codes are selected but the Ethnic Group only looks at the Hierarchy and does not use the Priority field.
- Either click Save or tab off the line.
STEP 2 – Updating the Ethnic Group
Path: Student View > Year End – Housekeeping
You should never need to update the Ethnic Group as this process once performed updates automatically. But in the unlikely event that this has not happened and the Ethnic Groups are not correct this step tells you how to do it.
There is no danger in performing this but as in all automated processes involving changes in data please make sure you have a backup of the Student File before proceeding.
- Place a tick in Recalc Ethnic Group
- Click [Begin Process]
STEP 3 – VDF Query on Ethnic Group
Path: Utilities > VDF Query
This field is stored in the Student File under Ethnic; this will give you the Ethnic Group of the student based on Hierarchy.