In Markbook V2 you can set columns to scale alpha results to numeric (eg. a result of ‘A’ is converted to a score of 5, B to 4, C to 3 etc), and numeric results to alpha (eg. a result of between 100 and 85 is converted to A, 84-70 a B, 69 to 50 a C etc).
- Create a Validation Code in Maintenance Codes
- Create a Result Table in Curriculum Control Files
- Create a column in Markbook to convert the result to the scaled result
Path: Utilities > Maintenance Codes
- Select the Type of VALIDATION (if Type does not currently exist see Creating New Maintenance Code Type)
- Create a Code and enter a Description, Tab off the line to save
You will need to Refresh PCSchool for these new codes to become available.
Path: System Functions > Curriculum Control Files > Areas of Assessment > Result Tables
For converting a Letter Result to a Numeric Value:
- Select the Validation Category you created in STEP 1
- Select Type as Scale to Numeric or Scale to Alpha
- Enter a Description
- Enter in the letter Result
- Enter in the Numeric Value this letter Result should be converted to, Tab off the line to save
Example for converting a Numeric Value to a letter Result:
Path: Spider > Markbook V2
You must have created your markbooks for Spider (see Markbook with Formula Documents).
A column must exist for the result to be entered in by the teacher, and a column that will show the scaled / converted result.
To Add / Edit a Column to the Markbook for the Scaled Result:
- Must select the COLLATING version of Markbook to add/edit columns
- Select [Manage Columns]
- Select to [Edit] existing column or create a new column by typing in a Column Heading
- Select the Validation code created in STEP 2
- Options here may vary:
- If column was created in Back Office and you are editing it the synch information should default.
- If the column has been manually added through Spider and you:
- wish to save the scaled / converted results in the markbook only select the options as shown above.
- wish to save the scaled / converted results to the student (to print on reports) you will need to Manually Synch the column to the correct fields.
- [Save] the column settings.
Add Formula to Scaled Result Column:
- Select [Manage Formulas]
- Select the Source Column – where the result to be converted will be
- Select the Formula of CONVERT
- Select the Destination Column – where the converted result is to be saved
- Select [Apply this] beside the Formula field
- Formula will appear in the Applied Formula field
- [Save] the formula
- Enter letter result
- Enter numeric result
- Select [Refresh Formulas]
- Scaled result will appear in relevant columns.