Please note that the process is the same for both Freedom and SQL schools. The alteration of some data can now take place in Spider (Quick Student Data - A Spider Control) and you can utilise Data Mining instead of a VDF to check your information.
Before you start your roll over check to see you have your data correct:
Step 1 Check the Year and Year Following are correct
Path: System Functions > Year Level Descriptions
Check that your Year Level Codes are set up with the correct Year Following eg. Kindy (KI) students become Prep (PR) students or Year 7 students become Year 8 and so on.
Step 2A Yet to Come Students VDF
This process checks the accuracy and completeness of data held for any ‘Yet to Come’ students through a VDF Query. If you have no ‘Yet to Come’ students entered, you can skip this step.
View Data via VDF Query Report
Path: Utilities > VDF Query Generator
Set up and run the following VDF Query to make sure all incoming students information has been entered and is correct.
Select the SF Student File as the main file and add the fields as below
Select SF: Student File
Fields: Highlight then click Add:
Change the Start column to match the VDF example above so it will print on an A4 portrait sheet of paper.
Then go to the [Selection Tab]
Double click a field to add.
· Select Between [x-y]
The Fields must be visible.
Enter the Current Year as a - Space Zero e.g. [ 0]
Enter Date arrival to cover the date you have entered in Students View > Enrolment > Date Arrival, this must cover the start date of the new Students.
Click Run to print the Report.
- Australian Schools should be ‘Accepted’
- New Zealand Schools will be ‘Regular’ Student in most cases
All columns must have Data; those without data or with incorrect data in the columns must be corrected.
Correct the data
Path: Administration > Student View > Enrolment Tab
Correct the missing information:
- ‘Date Arrival’ is very important, as it is the main factor when rolling in new students
- Initial Year: this must be entered for “Yet to Come Students”
- Optional: Enrolment Status, if used by your school, must be correct, so they are placed correctly.
To correct the Students Details follow the instructions below:
In Restrict by Year, select Yet to Come.
Enter the correct information for the Students in the Enrolment Tab.
Click Save for each Student after the details have been corrected.
Step 2B Yet To Come Students - Data Mining.
Select the SF: Student File
Select the fields you need
Check the fields you have selected
Apply your Filter conditions for Yet to come students.
Apply another Filter condition utilising the 'Arrival Date'
Click Search to bring up the data (please note that I am using test data so the following screen will not correspond to my filter dates)
Please click on the link below for information on how to alter data using Spider
Step 3 Current Students Repeating a Year
This must be done prior to rolling Students into their Next Year Level. If you have no current students repeating this year, you can skip this step.
Path: Student View > Tab 4 Enrolment
This is for students who will not be progressing on to the following year level but will be remaining in their current year level.
For Students Repeating the year level they are now in;
The only thing that needs to be done is to place a Tick in ‘Repeating Next Year’.
After the rollover this will move to ‘Repeating This Year’ and the year level being repeated (eg. Yr 8) will show in the ‘Years Repeated’ field.
Step 4 Students not Returning Next Year
This step can be ignored if you do not have students leaving next year other than students in their final year level.
This is for students who will be departing prior to your final year;
- This is not for students who are in the final school year
- Students in their final school year are automatically departed
Path: Administration > Student View > Tab 4 Enrolment
This must be done prior to rolling students into their ‘Next Year Level’.
For Students not returning next year;
There is no need to put in a departure date or final year as this information will be automatically generated when rolling students.
Check ‘Exclude Next Year’.
Step 5 Mailing Title for the Alumni
Path: Utilities > System File maintenance > Settings
Prior to rolling Students into the Alumni, you can select the mailing title defaults that will go with them. The default, unless selected, is the format Miss or Mr M J Smith (Given Initial).
Step 6 Enhanced Alumni Email Option for Student Rollover Process
With a growing number of schools offering students a “life-time” email address, this can now be carried through into their Alumni file instead of the current process of using the caregiver’s email address.
When transferring departed students to Alumni, choose which email address you require.
Ensure this setting has been made prior to the “End Of Year” rollover process.
Correspondent Email – this is who has been selected for the “Contact (Email) Option:” under the correspondence tab Student View > Address tab > Correspondence tab
Student Email – this is the student’s email that appears under the Student View > Scholastic tab > Email
Both – this will select both the “Correspondent’s and the Student’s Email.
This will be included and separated by a semicolon. In the case of extremely long email addresses, one of the correspondence email addresses may be omitted.
ROLLOVER PROCEDURES: Important steps to check before Rolling over.
The following steps need to be done before proceeding. Make sure that these are done as PCSchool may not be able to recover data in case of an issue during the roll over process.
Step 7 Ask your IT to do backups etc as per the IT Roll over manual
Note: If you are a Cloud hosted school - email firstname.lastname@example.org to get this done.
Step 8 Check that the computer performing the rollover
Note: If you are a Cloud hosted school this will already have been done.
Has the correct licence files installed on the computer
On the computer being used for completing the PCSchool rollover, check if it has the Version 14 licence files. These are generally found on the local C: drive C:\Program Files x86\Visual DataFlex 11.0\Bin folder.
- Locate the file dll,
- Right click on file and select [Properties]
- Select the [Details Tab] - . it must read Version 14.??? or higher (as per screen shot below)
If you do not have the correct version, DO NOT PROCEED – contact your IT Staff or call PCSchool to obtain your current sql_drv.cfg file and updated sql_drv.dll file.
Step 9 SQL backup just before rolling
Path: Scholastics> Utilities > Work Area Maintenance
- Make sure you have selected the correct work area to backup.
- [Backup SQL Database]
Add at the end of the word Backup - eg: EOY b4 Curr Roll and the date - OK
1. You will get a message saying [Backing up PCSchool]. Do not do anything yet wait until you get a message [Done Backup Successful]
2. When you get this message select –[close] – it has now created your SQL Backup.
Step 10 Make sure you are on the correct version
For, please ensure your version is at least as per screen shot or higher
Path: Scholastic> Help> About
If not, download the latest followup from the downloader.
Step Note: We strongly recommend that you use the ‘fastest’ PC available, the server generally being the ideal choice.
Step 11 Do a Full Backup within PCSchool
Path: Utilities > Backup
- Select - All Files
- Select All
- Backup Data
This process may take some time and once it’s completed, it will show the below screen asking where to copy the backup to.
- Destination - (By default it is copied to the "Backup" folder inside the local "PCSLaunch\Backup foder. This can be changed - you could save it to the desktop then transfer, or save it to your PCSchool Server.
- File Name - (The backup files are zipped and has the time stamp on the file name). Change name to EOY Full Back (if backing up another workarea type the work areas name as per example.
- Select - [Create Backup].
It is critical that you check that this file has been created.
The logged in user must have permission to write to the default location, or this needs to be changed prior to pressing the “Create Backup” button.
- After completion, ALWAYS browse to the location to check that the file is present
- Open the file so you can see all the files – if not, DO NOT PROCEED – contact PCSchool
This process must be repeated on different work areas before they are rolled over.
Step 12 Ensure everyone is logged out of PCS
Ensure no one is logged on to PCSchool prior to running the End of Year Rollover as this module is integrated with both the Debtors and General Ledger modules
You can lock all users out of PCSchool while you are doing End of Year via the Global System Lock using the following instructions.
Locking users out of PCSchool
Global System Lock
Path: Scholastics > Utilities > Users Security Setup
This would normally be set PRIOR to undertaking maintenance operations, where the SYSADMIN
User requires exclusive access to the system.
Place a tick in ‘System is Totally Locked’ to lock the system you do not need to save this or click
If you do save it or click OK the tick will be removed but the lock will still be in place
You will then need to replace the tick and remove it to remove the lock.
Once the lock is in place staff that try to log into PCSchool will be denied access. Staff currently in
PCSchool will receive a warning and must exit within 5 minutes. It is suggested you allow an extra
couple of minutes for this to be completed.
Step 13 First step is to create your Snapshot (which is a copy of your database)
Path: Scholastic> Administration> Year-End Housekeeping
Create a Snapshot
The first step of this procedure will create a snap shot of your Scholastic data this allows you to recreate reports based on enrolments and absences for the previous year.
- Check that the correct year level has thenext year of 99 and it has a tick in the Depart column.
- Tick, [Update Student Year Levels].
- Optional: [Update Student Form Class with Form Class Next] and [Update Student Core Class with Core Class Next. Only tick if you have entered students new Form Class or Core Class into the relevant field of Form Class Next and/or Core Class Next in StudentView/Enrolment tab.
- Optional: [Transfer Departed Students to Alumni]. This will only copy the students to the Alumni area but they will still remain in your main data until removed through Student - Family Removal (see Debtors End of Year Manual for more information).
- Optional: [Create Alumni from Family record]. This will create new records in your Alumni file based on Family records.
- Select the [Departure Date] - this is generally the date of the last day of school for the year.
- Tick [Roll in Yet to Come Students].
- [Arrival Date From:] Select a suitable date (usually the start date of the year).
- [Arrival Date to:] select a suitable date (some students may be starting a few days after the start of the year.
- Select the [Acceptance Date From]. This may need to be 4 or 5 years prior to cover all Acceptance dates. If no acceptance dates are entered in Student View remove this date as only those with dates will be rolled in.
- Select the [Acceptance Status your school uses]. This is the Enrolment Status and is important if you have students on waiting lists.
- Click [Begin Process] to create the snap shot.
Step 14 Pop up box - Removal of Message Content?
As the Pop up states, your message content from the year can take up an huge amount of space. You can take this opportunity to remove all the message content, or you can leave it in for the Snapshot and remove it before the rollover.
To remove content before the rollover go into Year End Housekeeping
- Tick the 'Clear Message Content'
- Make sure nothing else is ticked
- Click on 'Begin Process'
If ticked, you will be asked if you wish to send Families of Past Students to the Alumni. This is a decision that only the schools can make
You will then be asked the Format you wish the Alumni Mailing Title to be in, this will show the default.
- In Step 5 you should have already done this, so select YES
- Select NO to edit Path: Utilities > System File Maintenance
The next screen will pop up
You should have amended this is Step 6.
- To changes this select 'No'.
- To carry on select 'Yes'.
A pop up screen will appear - select YES to create your Snap Shot (this may take some time)
Wait - a pop-up box will appear - select 'OK'.
Wait – a pop-up box will appear – select OK
Wait – a popup box will appear – select OK
The system will now copy over Tables – wait until popup box
Step 18 Popup Screen
This has created a snapshot called - Curr Data 2019
- Select – OK
The program will exit out of PCSchool when finished
Note: This has not rolled over the students – it has only made a copy of your database
Step 19 IMPORTANT check snapshot
- Log back into PCSchool under the snap shot created. Curr data 2019
- Check the data i.e. Students are still in this same year levels for the current year
- Select a student under Student View – and under the address tab place an X after the address as e.g
For FREEDOM SCHOOLS – (we suggest changing a changing a student’s class in Subject view, check the mainwork area – if you see this change please contact PCSchool helpdesk, we suggest you change back in the snapshot after).
Step 20 Log back into the Main work area
Log back into PCSchool under the Mainwork > Scholastics.
IMPORTANT: Call up the Student that you used in Step 18 and check the address tab and make sure the x is not showing – if it is, you need to call the PCSchool helpline , if not showing continue…
Now to repeat the process and actual roll the students in to the new year.
Path: Scholastic >Administration > Year-End Housekeeping
Re-select all the settings once more. (see Step 19 for details)
You will be asked if you wish to send Families of Past Students to the Alumni (do what you previously decided) note this is a decision that only the schools can make.
As previously - you will then be asked the Format you wish the Alumni Mailing Title to be in, this will show the default. Select YES
Popup screen - select Yes
A Popup screen will appear - select [NO] as you have already create the snap shot (note: this now may take some time to process).
Pop up screen - Select 'Yes'
Wait... once the rollover has completed, check that your students are in the correct years' year levels for 2020.
Step 26 Housekeeping Update Student Absences
Absence Cut off Date; The Absence Cutoff Date determines the absences that will be displayed against the student under Absence Lates and Behaviour – Student. Resetting this date to the first day of the current year means only the current years absences will be displayed.
Path: Scholastic > Utilities > System File Maintenance > tab 2 Non Financial Defaults
Schools will only want to view the student’s current year absences. To view prior year absences the date can be set back to a prior date.
To Reset the Absence Cutoff Date:
- Non Financial Defaults Tab
- Absence Cutoff Date: select start date for 2020 (suggest 01/01/2020)
Step 27 Recalculate Absences, Lates and Merits
Recalculating the Absence Lates and Merits sets the running total of absences for a set period. If this is not done, Absence reports will not reflect the current year and the ‘Student View’ will not display the correct amount cumulative absence total.
Path: Scholastic > Administration > Year End - Housekeeping
Schools use the cumulative absent total to print on assessment and absence reports. This process can be run at any time to validate the absence records, or reset it for another period.
Note: Make sure there are only ticks in these fields.
- Place a tick in Recalculate Absence/Lates/Merits
- Select the Date From, this will normally be the 1st day of the current year or the 1st day of school. Either is okay.
- Select the Date To select e.g. 31/12/20??. Absences will automatically calculate from this day onwards. (the end date is not important as you will be running this again later in the year).
- Click being Process, this will validate and correct the data.
Step 28 Zero the Roll
Path: Scholastic > Administration > Year End - Housekeeping
Prior to starting Roll Marking for the following year you will need to ‘Zero’ the old roll table.
- This process will not remove absences; the roll table will show in the current period.
- This process may time to complete.
- You can leave this to run and continue working in another version of PCSchool.
- You do not need everyone out of PCSchool to complete this.
- This must only be completed after the students have been rolled and the snapshot created.
If you need to access previous rolls, it can be done through the snapshot.
Note: - make sure there are only ticks in these fields.
- Place a tick in [Zero Roll Up To Date To]
- [Date To:] Enter a date - this should be the 1st January 2019 (so one years worth of data is kept in the system)
- Click 'Begin Process'.
Step 29 Updating the Calendar
See the following article on how to set up your calendar in Spider: Spider Calendar
Step 30 Purge Audit Log
Purge Audit log will delete records from the Audit Log based on dates within the security file SSAcclog
- You must have rolled and created a snapshot before completing this process.
Year End Housekeeping
Path: Administration> Year End> Housekeeping
- Select [Zero Audit Log Up to Date to]
- [Date to:] Leave 12 months of records for reference depending upon how many data fields you are tracking. Note: (This will permanently remove the old records but they will be available in the snapshot)
Make sure you have no other ticks in any other boxes
- [Begin Process]
You will get a message when finished as per example:
Step 30 Secure Comments
After each rollover, check the “Secure” comments and make sure that you can read them. If they appear scrambled contact PCSchool Help Desk immediately.
Step 31 Make sure you unlock the system
Global System Lock
Path: Scholastics > Utilities > Users Security Setup
The tick will not be show in the [System is Totally Locked] - just tick again then [Save] will remove the locking system.
>>>>END OF SCHOLASTIC ROLL OVER<<<<
Setting the new Period ID:
Allocating students to subjects: